Sunday, December 4, 2011

This is a thought that I had a million years ago, way back when we were talking about neverwhere, and it just now reoccurred to me. We were talking about religion in neverwhere and how it plays a role in the form of a fallen angel. It wasn't until after class that I was considering the topic and I realized that the Marquis de Carabas was crucified on a cross and dies, and then he comes back to life. It is such a huge christian reference, and yet no one in class seemed to mention it.
So how does Gaimen make such obvious religious references, but then they are so easily overlooked? Is it because Carabas seems so unlike a christ figure? Or because Islington behaves so little like a angel? Maybe it has to do with Gaimen's writing style that our attention is focused away from these details, but then why does he include them at all? This is really just a list of questions that I have no answers to, but I thought they would be worth considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment