Thursday, November 17, 2011

Social Commentary

In response to Mike's most recent post about historical context: I very much agree that the definition of Urban Fantasy needs to be changed. As Mike nicely pointed out, several of the books we've read do in fact contain intersting social and historical issues. When I first started reading Urban Fantasy, and I'll admit I haven't read too many, I thought that the books were simply entertaining. The idea that their purpose might be anything other than entertainment did not cross my mind. Reading over the posts on here has enabled me to see that the genre is more than that. I especially find the anti-capitalism in Neverwhere to be interesting. I have long thought that this country needs to focus a bit more on what really matters than on capitalism. Values have really deteriorated in this country, if you ask me. I feel like I'm rambling a bit here so let me come full circle. My point here is that social commentary is an important point in Urban Fantasy and the genre ought to be given more credit for that.

1 comment:

  1. By the way, this is Ericka. I hate using my actual names in blogs, I think it's boring!

    ReplyDelete